So I a had a day of firsts.
First time tabling at a con! First time being part of a panel! And, my first sale at a con!
I joined the great people at Bmore Into Comics for their show at The Windup space in Baltimore, Maryland. This was a really cool space where they host drink and draws and other creative meet-ups.
The show was attended by about 12 talented comics creators from the area with two panel discussions; one on writing about villains that I was on and another on digital vs. traditional drawing. They were both super informative.
Jordan Clark moderated the villains panel discussion with Scott Riechert. We discussed what makes a good villain and discussed many villains in comics and other mediums such as movies. A couple of highlights from that discussion:
- My favorite villain is Dr. Doom.
- My favorite scene in Doom toots
- Villains need to be a little sympathetic so that the reader/audience understands where the villain is coming from.
The panel discussion on digital vs. traditional drawing was interesting. A few of my highlights:
- Clip Studio Paint is good specifically for comics.
- You can’t physically brush off eraser bits on a tablet, ha!
- You can’t control Z or use the lasso tool on a real drawing 🙂
- Digital can be a timesaver.
I also learned some lessons for next time, like bring a stand for my comics. I also thought having my iPad to show off my web comics and other work in process would have been a nice addition. But all and all I learned and happy I did it.
For me, this was all about the experience of tabling at a show, so I was happy when I got my first sale! I had great time and can’t wait to do it again.