So I submitted my script for an anthology project to the editors of the project. And let’s just say it could have gone better.
I made a huge mistake by sending not my most current draft, but an earlier version that didn’t have the story completely flushed out. I had place holders for characters, like “the guard” and not the name of the character.
The other many thing is I am a pretty sparse writer when it comes to panel description, it is a lot of person A and person B walk into this room. Person A says….
And I have been pretty lucky, that the artist I have worked with do well with this sparse description. I have develop a bit of shorthand with them. I also hope this make them feel more involved with the creation of the comic. Not what the editor was just too. (I think)
The other thing was my format. Which I have heard over and over that there is no universal format for comics. Whenever I see a sample of a script I take bits and pieces of the format, and use it. One that I like is Rick Remender’s scripts, and I have pulled a lot from that for my own.
Well that didn’t seem to fit with the formats the editors were used to.
So no real big deal, it was a bit of a shock, but I am going to rework it and fit it into the format they would want. It’s a good, but difficult experience, and I am sure that it will not be the last time. I will have to adjust to fit into the project.
Thanks for checking out the blog, I am hoping on getting back to my weekly schedule.
Go out and make comics, and they re-make those comics based on your notes from your editor.